Want to join our team in 2020?
- Most of our staff is paid based on the volume they produce, we feel this brings out the best in quality and staff performance as They are rewarded for their labour efforts.
- Group Health Plan – eligible after 3 months.
- All staff employed over 1 year receive up to 2 paid PEL (personal emergency Leave) day as well as the Civic holiday in August off with Pay.
- Employees have the opportunity to participate in a company paid CO-OP program where they are able to receive their High School diploma while at work.
- Company Training: throughout the year selective employees and managers are sent on certificate courses and they also attend seminars to gain knowledge about warehousing / management studies as well as safety procedures and protocols to make Durham Pallet run as efficient as possible.
- Any employee with 2 years or more of service receives a 100.00 safety bonus gift card given our on their anniversary date of hire
- Durham Pallet has regular monthly safety meetings with all staff to ensure Health and Safety standards and procedures are known and communicated thoroughly.
- Multiple times per year Durham Pallet Services hosts an Employee Appreciation Day where we provide all staff members with a lunch.
- For many years Durham Pallet Services has worked closely with companies like the John Howard Society helping people all over the Durham Region find meaningful long term employment within our organization whether it be through their youth or adult program we are excited to have this relationship and look forward to continuing with them for our future employment needs.
- Paid moving pay (1 per year)
- Christmas Bonus's paid out on a tiered system for any staff employed over 1 year of Service
- 2 Days off for immediate family Bereavement leave
Below are most of the requirements we look for in a potential staff member
- Remove lumber with a pry bar or by hand
- Repair the pallets by adding missing lumber using a nail gun
- Clean work area after each shift
- Contribute to and cooperate with our safety standards
- Understand, identify quality procedures
- Meet or exceeds the production standards
- Adheres to Depot policies and procedures
- 1+ years of practical experience in a production / industrial environment
- Literacy/numeracy at High School level
- Fitness level appropriate to manual labor
- Ability to find transportation to and from the facility
- Able to lift 50lbs
- 0-199 pallets .70
- 200+ pallets repaired .78
DPS Goals Policy
Repair targets to be used as a guide
- Week 1: Repair staff set own goals
- Week2: 70 per day (10 per hour)
- Week3: 100 per day (14 per hour)
- Week4: 140 per day (20 per hour)
- Week5: 170 per day (24 per hour)
- Week6: 180 per day (26 per hour)
- Week7 and on: 200 per day (27 per hour)
Detailed Job Analysis PDF
How does piece rate work?
Piece rate means you get paid for what you do. The harder you work, the more money you can make never falling under our minimum of 15.00/hour
Full breakdown is explained during your interview or orientation process. Most staff move to a piece rate system after 2-3 weeks. There are minimum quotas set out that you must meet daily
Is experience needed?
No, we can fully train anyone who wishes to learn the art of pallet repairing. Having used reciprocating saws and air nail guns really helps
How long does training last for?
Usually 2-3 days. 1st day you learn and get to understand our quality standards. 2nd day you shadow a veteran staff member as well shown your table and how things work. 3rd day you repair with a veteran staff member.
How long have you been in business for?
DPS started in 2001 with 3 staff members and as of January 2020 we have over 60 full time staff members, we have experienced 30% growth over the past 2 years
Is this job labour intensive?
Bluntly put – yes. We had a job analysis completed in 2017 outlining the pallet repair tasks in detail which can be found on our website. It details everything from the weight of all tools used to the frequency of physical demands. We have invested thousands into ergonomically friendly tools and equipment to help make this hard job a little easier to do. Check out our repair video on our website to see how to repair a pallet
Do you have benefits?
$1500.00 Major dental
$500.00 chiropractor service
$500.00 therapy services
$500.00 dietician services
$1500.00 Dental along with check ups and cleanings. (Crowns, bridges and braces for kids)
– We also hand out 100.00 safety gift cards for 2 years of service to all staff
– we help assist anyone looking to complete their grade 12 education through a co-op program provided by the DDSB
– Up to 2 paid personal emergency leave day each year
Is there a dress code?
No dress code however you must adhere to our safety PPE requirements, PPE stands for ‘personal protection equipment’ and DPS requires all staff to have safety eyewear / steel toe shoes or boots and reflective safety shirt or vests just to walk into the warehouse.
*DPS provides safety eye-ware.
Our facility is cold in the winter time (due to the extensive shipping and receiving we do daily) and hot in the summer time, so we recommend you dress appropriately
Is this job seasonal?
No, we are not seasonal however we do experience busy and slow times just like every other company