Work for DPS ?
- ost of our employees pay is based on the volume they produce, we feel this brings out the best in quality and employee performance. They are rewarded for their labour efforts.
- Group Health Plan – eligable after 3 months.
- All employees receive 2 paid days of emergency leave per year
- Employees have the opportunity to participate in a company paid CO-OP program where they are able to receive their High School diploma while at work.
- Company Training: throughout the year selective employees and managers are sent on certificate courses and they also attend seminars to gain knowledge about warehousing / management studies as well as safety procedures and protocols to make Durham Pallet run as efficient as possible.
- Any employee with 2 years or more of service receives a 150.00 safety bonus gift card.
- Durham Pallet has regular monthly safety meetings with all staff to ensure Health and Safety standards and procedures are known and communicated thoroughly.
- Multiple times per year Durham Pallet Services hosts an Employee Appreciation Day where we provide all employees with a lunch.
- For many years Durham Pallet Services has worked closely with companies like the John Howard Society helping people all over the Durham Region find meaningful long term employment within our organization whether it be through their youth or adult program we are excited to have this relationship and look forward to continuing with them for our future employment needs.
Below are most of the requirements we look for in a potential staff member
- Remove lumber with a pry bar or by hand
- Repair the pallets by adding missing lumber using a nail gun
- Clean work area after each shift
- Contribute to and cooperate with our safety standards
- Understand, identify quality procedures
- Meet or exceeds the production standards
- Adheres to Depot policies and procedures
- 1+ years of practical experience in a production / industrial environment
- Literacy/numeracy at High School level
- Fitness level appropriate to manual labor
- Ability to find transportation to and from the facility
- Able to lift 50lbs
- 0-199 pallets .70
- 200+ pallets repaired .78
DPS Goals Policy
Repair targets to be used as a guide
- Week 1: Repair staff set own goals
- Week2: 70 per day (10 per hour)
- Week3: 100 per day (14 per hour)
- Week4: 140 per day (20 per hour)
- Week5: 170 per day (24 per hour)
- Week6: 180 per day (26 per hour)
- Week7 and on: 200 per day (27 per hour)
Detailed Job Analysis PDF
How does piece rate work?
Piece rate means you get paid for what you do. The harder you work, the more money you can make never falling under our minimum of 15.00/hour
Full breakdown is explained during your interview or orientation process. Most staff move to a piece rate system after 2-3 weeks. There are minimum quotas set out that you must meet daily
Is experience needed?
No, we can fully train anyone who wishes to learn the art of pallet repairing. Having used reciprocating saws and air nail guns really helps
How long does training last for?
Usually 2-3 days. 1st day you learn and get to understand our quality standards. 2nd day you shadow a veteran staff member as well shown your table and how things work. 3rd day you repair with a veteran staff member.
How long have you been in business for?
DPS started in 2001 with 3 staff members and as of November 2018 we have 68 full time staff members, we have experienced 30% growth over the past 2 years
Is this job labour intensive?
Bluntly put – yes. We had a job analysis completed in 2017 outlining the pallet repair tasks in detail which can be found on our website. It details everything from the weight of all tools used to the frequency of physical demands. We have invested thousands into ergonomically friendly tools and equipment to help make this hard job a little easier to do. Check out our repair video on our website to see how to repair a pallet
Do you have benefits?
Yes we do through GWL (Great West Life)
300.00 chiropractor service
300.00 therapy services
300.00 dietician services
1000.00 Dental along with check ups and cleanings
– We also hand out 150.00 safety gift cards for 2 years of service to all staff
– we help assist anyone looking to complete their grade 12 education through a co-op program provided by the DDSB
– 2 paid personal emergency leave days each year
Is there a dress code?
No dress code however you must adhere to our safety PPE requirements, PPE stands for ‘personal protection equipment’ and DPS requires all staff to have Steel Toe shoes / boots and reflective safety shirt / vests just to walk into the wearhouse.
DPS provides safety eye-ware.
Our facility is cold in the winter time (due to the extensive shipping and receiving we do daily) and hot in the summer time, so we recommend you dress appropriately
Is this job seasonal?
No, we are not seasonal however we do experience busy and slow times just like every other company